Skilled Counsel In Discrimination And Harassment Cases
At the Tampa-based firm of Barker | Cook, we provide serious and intelligent legal representation to employers and employees throughout Florida who are involved in discrimination and harassment disputes.
Discrimination in the workplace is illegal. If you have been discriminatorily fired, denied a promotion or denied reasonable accommodation for your disability, Barker | Cook can help. Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the situation; examine the employers’ workplace policies; and interview managers, supervisors and fellow employees to expose weaknesses behind an employer’s pretextual reason for making discriminatory decisions.
Our attorneys pursue compensation that corrects the wrongful action taken against employees and asserts their legal rights. Common types of restitution include back pay, front pay, reinstatement and reasonable workplace accommodations.
Do You Have A Claim Under Federal Law?
Numerous federal statutes make it illegal for employers to discriminate against employees, including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act — employers cannot fire, refuse to hire or promote, limit compensation or segregate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) — An employee over 40 may not be fired, forced to retire or otherwise discriminated against.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) — Disabled employees who are qualified to perform necessary job duties may not be discriminated against and must be given reasonable accommodations for their disabilities.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) — Employees may take 12 weeks of unpaid leave for family or medical purposes such as pregnancy, sickness or caring for ill family members.
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) — Employers cannot refuse to hire or promote women who are pregnant, who experienced complications due to pregnancy or who are of child-bearing age.
- Sexual harassment — Unwelcome sexual advances, blatant sexual conduct or conduct that creates an uncomfortable working environment is illegal.
Protecting Employers Against Discrimination Claims
At Barker | Cook, we also help employers defend against discrimination and harassment claims made by current and former employees.
While discrimination may appear to be the root of an employer’s decision to terminate an employee, or refusal to hire or promote, there are often legitimate business reasons behind the decision.
Our lawyers help employers defend against discrimination and harassment claims made by current or former employees. Working closely with management, supervisors and other employees, we identify the legitimate and legal rationales that influenced an employer’s actions.